General KnowledgeCombined Defense Services Examination 2008
(Held on 17-2-2008)
1. Which one of the following diagrams shows the direction and duration of wind ?
(D) Star diagram
2. June 21 is the longest day of the year for those living in the Northern hemisphere. What is the shortest day of the year for those living in the Southern hemisphere ?
(A) March 21
(B) September 21
(C) December 21
(D) June 21
3. Which one of the following countries is not a founder member of OPEC ?
4. Bar is a unit of which one of the following ?
5. With which one of the following countries, India shares maximum length of the border ?
6. Consider the following statements—
1. Doris Lessing becomes the oldest person to win the Nobel prize in Literature (2007).
2. She is a school dropout.
3. Jane Moor is the pseudonym of Doris Lessing.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct ?
(A) 1 only
(B) 1 and 2 only
(C) 2 and 3 only
(D) 1, 2 and 3
7. Liberhan Commission has been appointed to deal with which one of the following ?
(A) Anti-Sikh Riots, 1984
(B) Demolition of Babri Masjid
(C) Godhra Incident
(D) Mumbai Communal Riots
8. Which one of the following industries is not recommended by Investment Commission as National Thrust Area ?
(B) Information Technology
9. The Kyoto Protocol commits the developed nations, including economies in transition to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by which one of the following during the years 2008-2012 ?
(A) An average of 4% below 1990 levels
(B) An average of 5% below 2000 levels
(C) An average of 4•2% below 2000 levels
(D) An average of 5•2% below 1990 levels
10. According to the provisions of the Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management (FRBM) Act, 2003 and FRBM Rules, 2004, the Government is under obligation to present three statements before the Parliament
along with the Annual Budget.
Which one of the following is not one of them ?
(A) Macroeconomic Framework Statement
(B) Fiscal Policy Strategy Statement
(C) Medium-term Fiscal Policy Statement
(D) Statement showing Shortterm Fiscal Policy
11. What is an ECO-MARK ?
(A) A scheme for labeling pollution-free industrial unit
(B) A scheme for labeling environment friendly consumer product
(C) A cost-effective production technique
(D) An international certification recognizing eco-friendly building
12. Which among the following is the oldest board under the Department of Commerce ?
(A) The Rubber Board
(B) The Tea Board
(C) The Coffee Board
(D) The Tobacco Board
13. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched ?
(A) Fiat — Italy
(B) Nissan — Japan
(C) Toyota — Japan
(D) Hyundai — Germany
14. Consider the following statements—
1. At the time of independence, the Government of India followed the calendar based on Saka era.
2. The National Calendar commenced on Chaitra 1 Saka, 1879 corresponding to 22 March 1957 A.D.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct ?
(A) 1 only
(B) 2 only
(C) Both 1 and 2
(D) Neither 1 nor 2
15. The Sun Temple of Konark was built by Narasimhadeva 1. To which dynasty did he belong to ?
(A) Somavamsi dynasty
(B) Imperial Ganga dynasty
(C) Suryavamsi Gajapati dynasty
(D) Bhoi dynasty
16. Which of the following is a rich source of energy ?
17. In human body, what is the number of cervical vertebrae ?
18. The terms Lubb and Dubb relate to which one of the following ?
19. In normal adult human, what is the rate of heartbeat per minute ?
20. Which one of the following is considered as the easily digestible source of protein ?
(A) Egg albumin
(C) Fish flesh
(D) Red meat
21. Which of the following plants is not capable of manufacturing own food ?
22. Which one of the following peaks is the highest ?
(A) Nanda Devi
(C) Godwin Austen
(D) Nanga Parbat
23. Which one of the following is the correct order in which the following cities are located from West to East ?
(A) Alwar – Gorakhpur – Ranchi – Bhagalpur
(B) Bhagalpur – Ranchi – Alwar – Gorakhpur
(C) Ranchi – Alwar – Bhagalpur – Gorakhpur
(D) Gorakhpur – Bhagalpur – Ranchi – Alwar
24. Which one of the following pairs is correctly matched ?
Country / Currency
(A) Myanmar / Baht
(B) Thailand / Kyat
(C) Cambodia / Riel
(D) Vietnam / Rupiah
25. Which waterway separates India from Sri Lanka ?
(A) Eight Degree Channel
(B) Palk Strait
(C) Ten Degree Channel
(D) Andaman Sea
26. Which one of the following countries is not a UN member country ?
27. Consider the following statements—
The South-West Monsoon originates in India due to—
1. low pressure in the Punjab plain
2. high pressure in areas South of India
3. equatorial low being filled up by descending air current
4. the Himalayas
Which of the statements given above are correct ?
(A) 1 and 4 only
(B) 1 and 2 only
(C) 1 and 3 only
(D) 2 and 4 only
28. Which one of the following iron and steel plants was established with the British collaboration ?
29. Which of the following divides India into Northern and Southern parts ?
(B) Tropic of Cancer
(C) Tropic of Capricorn
(D) Arctic Circlc
30. Which one of the following is the oldest oil refinery in India ?
31. Consider the following events—
1. Jallianwala Bagh Massacre
2. Second Civil Disobedience Movement
3. Congress Split at Surat
4. Boycott of Simon Commission
Which one of the following is the correct chronological order of the above events ?
(A) 3, 1, 4, 2
(B) 1, 4, 2, 3
(C) 4, 2, 3, 1
(D) 2, 3, 1, 4
32. The characteristic odour of Garlic is due to which one of the following ?
(A) Chlorine - containing compounds
(B) Fluorine - containing compounds
(C) Nitrogen - containing compounds
(D) Sulphur - containing compounds
33. What does airbag, used for safety of car driver, contain ?
(A) Sodium bicarbonate
(B) Sodium Azide
(C) Sodium nitrite
(D) Sodium peroxide
34. Which colour of heat radiation represents the highest temperature ?
(A) Blood red
(B) Dark cherry
35. Which one of the following is correct ?
A concrete wall generally.
(A) Only reflects sound
(B) Only absorbs sound
(C) Only transmits sound
(D) Absorbs and transmits sound
36. What would be the best choice for window material to keep the outside heat away ?
(A) Single-pane glass
(B) Double-pane glass without a gap in between
(C) Double-pane glass with water filled in between
(D) Double-pane glass with air in between
37. What is the pH value of pure water ?
38)with the normal at the point of incidence.38. A ray of light is incident on a plane mirror at an angle 30
The ray will be deviated from its incidence direction by what angle ?
(D) None of these
39. Who gave the first evidence of the Big-Bang theory ?
(A) Edwin Hubble
(B) Albert Einstein
(C) S. Chandrasekhar
(D) Stephen Hawking
40. The density of water varies with temperature which helps the aquatic animals to live in cold water. At what temperature is the density of water maximum ?
41. Why is it difficult to see through fog ?
(A) Rays of light suffer total internal reflection from the fog droplets
(B) Rays of light are scattered by the fog droplets
(C) Fog droplets absorb light
(D) The refractive index of fog is extremely high
Directions—(Q. 42–45) In the following questions, each items consists of two statements, one labeled as ‘Assertion (A)’ and the other as ‘Reason (R)’. You are to examine these two statements carefully and
select the answers to these items using the code given below—
(A) Both (A) and (R) are individually true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A)
(B) Both (A) and (R) are individually true but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A)
(C) (A) is true but (R) is false
(D) (A) is false but (R) is true
42. Assertion (A) : Steam is more harmful for human body than the boiling water in case of born.
Reason (R) : Boiling water contains more heat than steam.
43. Assertion (A) : Red Blood Cells burst when placed in water.
Reason (R) : Due to osmosis, water enters into Red Blood Cells.
44. Assertion (A) : The percentage of the earth’s surface covered by India is 2•4%.
Reason (R) : On the Mercator’s map of the world, India is shown much smaller than Canada.
45. Assertion (A) : An award made by a Lok Adalat is deemed to be a decree of a Civil Court.
Reason (R) : Award of Lok Adalat is final and binding on all parties and no appeal lies against thereto before any court.
1. D 2.D 3.A 4.C 5.C
6. B 7.B 8.B 9.D 10.D
11. B 12.C 13.D 14.B 15.B
16. C 17.B 18.A 19.A 20.B
21. B 22.C 23.A 24.C 25.B
26. B 27.C 28.D 29.B 30.C
31. A 32.D 33.B 34.D 35.D
36. D 37.C 38.C 39.A 40.D
41.B 42.C 43.A 44.B 45.C